The sign accompanying the C-46. It reads
Curtiss C-46D Commando
Entering service in 1944, the C-46 was extensively used in the Pacific Theater
during World War II. It was the largest and heaviest twin-engine aircraft to
fly the dangerous route over the Himalayan Mountains known as the "Hump."
Eventually replacing the C-47 in Asia, the Commando could carry a larger load
and offered better performance at higher altitudes, but required extensive
maintenance and suffered technical problems due to the higher altitude and
severe weather. After WWII, the USAF utilized the C-46 operationally during
the Korean Conflict as well as in the early stages of hostilities in Vietnam
where the 1st
Air Commando Group used it to perform counterintelligence missions.
During World War II, Robins AFB assumed logistics management and repair for all
C-46s in a five-state area of the Southeast. Manufactured by Curtiss-Wright,
Buffalo, NY, the aircraft on display was assigned to the 20th Air Force
stationed at Karachi, India, in December 1944 where it joined a fleet of
aircraft flying the Hump. It was later sold to the Indian government in April
1946. The Museum acquired it in August 1991 from Haiti Air Freight.
|Specifications & Performance
||(2) 2,000 HP
||76 ft., 4 in
||Pratt & Whitney R-2800-51
||21 ft., 9 in
||radial piston engines
Sponsor: Henry Lowe Family
This aircraft is dedicated to the memory of James T. Lowe, a Lt. J.G. who
served his country as a Naval Aviator during World War II and was later the
founder and president of Lowe
Aviation. James Lowe was enshrined in the Georgia Aviation Hall
of Fame on May 18, 1996, for his distinctive contributions to the
advancement of aviation in Georgia and this nation.
James T. Lowe
December 18, 1913 — December 26, 1998