General Apollo Command/Service Module Diagrams
I come across many Command/Service Module diagrams which, while interesting, are not so interesting that they necessarily merit their own separate page. I have created this page as a repository for such diagrams.
The beginning of the Apollo Spacecraft News Reference [Command/Service Module] features a three-page fold-out of a cutaway diagram of the Apollo Command/Service Module:
The diagram notes that the entire CSM, from the tip of the launch escape tower to the exit plane of the Service Propulsion System engine, is 63 feet, four inches tall. The Launch Escape Subsystem is 33 feet tall, with the Command Module being 10 feet, seven inches. The fairing between the Command and Service Modules is two feet, two inches, and the Service Module proper is 22 feet, seven inches (the launch escape tower legs overlap the command module, so the four subsystem measurements don't add up to the 63'4" overall value).
The callouts on this diagram include
- Docking Probe
- Main Parachute (1 of 3)
- Forward Boost Protective Cover
- Lower Equipment Bay
- Aft Boost Protective Cover
- Electric Power System Space Radiator Panel
- Fuel Cells (3)
- Reaction Control Engines (Quad)
- Cryogenic Storage Tanks
- VHF Scimitar Antenna (1 of 2)
- Environmental Control System Space Radiator Panel
- Aft Bulkhead Heat Shield
- High-Gain (Deep Space) Antenna
- Nose Cone and "Q Ball"
- Pitch Control Motor
- Solid Propellant
- Tower Jettison Motor Nozzle
- Power System and Instrumentation Wire Harness
- Solid Propellant
- Launch Escape Motor
- Nozzles (4) for Launch Escape Motor
- Launch Escape Tower
- Forward Compartment (Earth Landing Equipment)
- Main Display Console
- Side Hatch (Quick Opening)
- Aft Compartment (Tanks, Reaction Control Engines, Wiring, Plumbing
- Diameter 12 ft 10 in
- CM Support Beams
- Helium Hank
- Fuel Tanks
- Reaction Control System Quad Panel
- Service Propulsion System Fuel Tanks
- Oxidizer Tanks
- Stillwell and Quantity Measurement System
- Service Propulsion Engine
- Radial Beam
- Aft Bulkhead
- Service Propulsion Engine Nozzle
- Diameter 8 ft 2 in
I've prepared several versions and formats of this drawing:
- A 771x1080 image, suitable for use as your desktop wallpaper; 81k.
- A 1608x2252 image for the casual visitor; 243k.
- A 300-dpi version for serious study; 764k. Download now.
- A 600-dpi version for those of you who like to zoom in to 800%, or want to go to your local copy shop and print up a copy of your own, or even want to blow some drawings up to the size of your wall; 4.2 megabytes. Download now.