The sign accompanying the B-47. It reads
Boeing (Douglas) B-47E "Stratojet"
||226,000 lb. Max
Two 20mm cannon in the tail.
||Six General Electric J47s
The B-47, the world's first swept-wing jet bomber, made its initial flight on
December 17, 1947. Quantity deliveries began in 1951. When production ended
in 1957, more than 1,200 "Stratojets" were serving with the Strategic Air
Command at USAF bases throughout the world. By the late 1960s the B-47 was
obsolete and removed from operational service.
The B-47 normally carried a crew of three - under the glass canopy sat the
pilot and co-pilot (who also operated the tail turret by remote control). The
radar-navigator-bombardier sat inside the nose. In the RB-47, reconnaissance
version, the navigator would also operate the camera equipment. In the EB-47,
electronic counter measures (ECM) version, ECM operators would be encapsulated
in the bomb bay of the B-47.
The B-47E on display was built by the Douglas Aircraft company as a
subcontractor to the Boeing Company. This B-47 served with the 303rd Bomb
Wing at Davis-Monthan AFB, AZ in
the 1950s and was last used by the Atomic Testing Center in New Mexico until it
was flown to Barksdale AFB in May 1970. It was the last operational USAF B-47
in service. This B-47E is painted to represent a B-47E flown by the 2d
Bomb Wing while based at Hunter
AFB, GA. It also stands to represent the B-47 flown from Barksdale AFB
from 1952 to 1963 by the 301st and