A historical marker outside the museum. It reads
The Masons constructed this building in 1923, as Sparta's first building
devoted entirely to a social organization. The architecture is characterized
by an eclectic mix of Classical Revival and Prairie School influences. Noted
regional architect and Masonic lodge member Albert
Parkinson designed it.
The building was purchased by the Monroe County Historical
Society in 1984 for use as a county museum.
This property was listed on the National Register
of Historic Places in 1987.