The sign accompanying the B-17. It reads
Boeing B-17G "Flying Fortress"
The Flying Fortress is one of the most famous airplanes ever built. The B-17
prototype first flew on July 28, 1935. Few B-17s were in service on December
7, 1941, but production quickly accelerated. The aircraft served in every WW
II combat zone, but it is best known for daylight strategic bombing of German
industrial targets. Production ended in May 1945 and totaled 12,726.
In March 1944 this B-17G was assigned to the 91st Bomb Group and based at
Bassingbourn, England. There it was named Shoo Shoo Baby by its crew, after a
popular song. It flew 23 combat missions in WW II, receiving flak damage seven
times. Its first mission (Frankfurt, Germany) was on March 24, 1944, and last
mission (Posen, Poland) on May 29, 1944, when engine problems forced a landing
in neutral Sweden where the airplane and crew were interned. In 1968, Shoo
Shoo Baby was found abandoned in France; the French government presented the
airplane to the USAF. In July 1978 the 512th Military Airlift Wing moved it to
Dover AFB, Delaware, for restoration by volunteers of the 512th Antique
Restoration Group. The massive 10-year job of restoration to flying condition
was completed in 1988 and the aircraft was flown to the Museum in October 1988.
||103 ft. 10 in.
||74 ft. 4 in.
||19 ft. 1 in.
||55,000 lbs. normal max.
||Thirteen .50 cal. machine guns plus normal bomb load of
||Four Wright "Cyclone" R-1820s of 1,200 hp. each
||1,850 statute miles/
1,608 nautical miles